Africa Work-in-Progress (WIP) and Accounts Receivable (AR)
ROLE BAND: 2
REPORTS TO: Team Leader – Africa WIP&AR
LOCATION: Based in Johannesburg, may have occasional travel within Africa
PURPOSE OF POSITION
To manage a portfolio of internal client project accounts, responsible for the full project accounting – termed internally as ‘WIP/AR management’ – by applying advanced analysis techniques and tools.
Key performance requirement of this role, in addition to standard defined tasks, will be to make a significant contribution to the elevation of the analytical aspect of this role within Africa, placing it at the forefront of best practices within the Firm.
WIP and A/R Management
- Review project budget (CERs) for appropriate pricing, billing schedule, fee and expense budget, and investment amount if relevant; categorize project budget (CER) with appropriate team bundle coding
- Communicate pro-actively with Partners regarding their engagement set-up and all required pre-requisites for such including: contract documentation, purchase/work orders, change orders and other contract modification requirements, investment approvals and any additional requirements related to client invoicing and WIP.
- Prepare final invoice package containing draft and final invoices for all billable projects, including all applicable backup for approval by the Billing Partner
- Advise and assist Partners when client invoices are outstanding past invoice due date; work with client Accounts Payable department and research payment issues when needed
- Review all unbilled issues to ensure full billing, including additional billing that may have been agreed post the engagement confirmation.
- Comprehensively analyse all project WIP reports, identify exceptions vs. plan, potential incorrect allocations of time/expenses and resolve monthly with the assigned ED.
- Maintain the open portfolio for any client services team (CST), attend CST meetings as may be appropriate, prepare reports (power-point/excel) for the CST to manage their client economics across open engagements.
- Ensure completed engagements are closed out efficiently and effectively, and project codes are hard closed
- Apply all Firm policies and practices to ensure full financial compliance across the WIP/AR discipline.
- Provide year-end support of auditor requirements, which may include research and reconcilement.
- Work with Partners and their assistants so that nonstandard arrangements (client investments, satisfaction holdbacks and deferred billing arrangments) are accounted for properly on CERs
- Monitor nonstandard WIPs in order to recover revenue if credit hold allows
- Assist in developing and running pricing reports to track and improve revenue management
- Sound knowledge of accounting principals
- Good understanding of project account management
- Ideally within a work-in-progress (WIP) environment and ideally within a professional services environment
- Computer literacy including mastery of Microsoft Excel and working knowledge of other Microsoft Suite software
- Exceptional analytical skills. Ability to demonstrate a track record in collecting, organizing, analyzing and disseminate significant amounts of data / information, while having an exceptional attention to finer detail
- Experience in working within a pressurized team environment where there are structured monthly process flows and deadlines; this while being able to work independently on assigned tasks, taking initiative, setting priorities and executing tasks to completion.
- Mature and confident enough to engage at a McKinsey Partners level, on a peer-to-peer basis, in regards economic stewardship and project related topics.
- University degree/diploma required in the field of Accounting, Finance, or Business;
- Minimum 3-5-years accounting experience in a professional services environment, with a proven track record in engaging at a Partner / Senior Management level, and/or within a project based environment in a project accounting role
- Very strong performance history, with a deep spike in analytic capability/skill
Special Skills, Other Background Requirements:
- Excellent verbal and written language skills in English are a pre-requisite, with French and/or Portuguese being a distinct advantage
- Strong team orientation and a strong client service mindset
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of highly sensitive information
Salary advised is cash based only, the salary is not negotiable. We offer medical aid, provident fund, 15 working days leave, 13th cheque and a performance bonus depending on your performance