Primary Purpose of the Job
To provide specialist analytical support to the business and take responsibility for data management, reporting and data analytics to identify and initiate opportunities relating consumption efficiency and performance in line with best practices.
• Proficiency in Microsoft applications, advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
• Database management and structured query language.
• Business intelligence tools. (Microsoft Power BI preferred)
• Strong financial and analytical skills.
• Vendor management skills.
• Energy management skills.
Qualifications and experience
• Minimum matric with at least 5 years’ experience in the utilities, green building or environmental suitability industry.
• Engineering with data analytics experience (preferred)
• Data analytics with utility management experience
• Additional qualifications or certifications relevant to the industry preferred. (i.e. CMVP; CEM).
• To manage meter data acquisition, storage and integrity
• To ensure the technical reconciliation of energy and water consumption for all buildings
• To analyse meter data for optimisation opportunities such as power factor, load shifting, demand side management, base load management)
• To ensure the accurate review and timeous implementation of tariff and expense optimisation opportunities
• To identify optimisation opportunities which will reduce electricity, water and waste consumption through analysis of consumption patterns and benchmarks. (I.e. lighting, HVAC, alternative / renewable source, water harvesting and treatment, operational/behavioral initiatives etc.)
• To generate business intelligence reports and dashboards from meter data, tariff data and billing data to assist the business with improved operational efficiency
• To analyse the impact of given scenarios or special events and provide reports to enable sound business decision making
• To conduct feasibility studies for potential project opportunities to ensure solutions are technically and financially sound
• To prepare requirements for RFP’s & RFQ’s
• To research potential technologies and solutions for implementation in properties as well as changing trends and environmental issues
• To track and report on performance of implemented initiatives versus projected returns
• To prepare and provide reporting for carbon footprint and sustainability
• A solid understanding of:
- Electricity, water and waste management principles.
- Electrical distribution systems and energy fundamentals.
- Metering and verification principles.
- Utility management.
• Energy, water and waste efficiency projects and program development.
• Solar PV and renewable energy.
• Lighting technologies.
• HVAC systems.
• Building automation and control systems.
• Water savings technologies and strategies.
• Waste management and recycling solutions.
• Analysing and Interpreting - Applying expertise and technology.
o Applies specialist and detailed technical expertise; Develops job knowledge and expertise through continual professional development; Shares expertise and knowledge with others; Uses technology to achieve work objectives; Demonstrates appropriate physical coordination and endurance, manual skill, spatial awareness and dexterity; Demonstrates an understanding of different organisational departments and functions.
• Analysing and Interpreting - Analysis
o Analyses of numerical data, verbal data and all other sources of information; Breaks information into component parts, patterns and relationships; Probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; Makes rational judgements from the available information and analysis; Produces workable solutions to a range of problems; Demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be a part of a much larger system.
• Creating and conceptualising – Learning and Researching
o Rapidly learns new tasks and quickly commits information to memory; Gathers comprehensive information to support decision making; Demonstrates a rapid understanding of newly presented information; Encourages an organisational learning approach (i.e. learns from successes and failures and seeks staff and customer feedback); Manages knowledge (collects, catalogues, and disseminates knowledge of use to the organisation).
• Creating and conceptualising – Creating and Innovating
o Produces new ideas, approaches or insights; Creates innovative products or designs; Produces a range of solutions to problems; Seeks opportunities for organisational improvement; Devises effective change initiatives.
• Organising and Executing - Planning and Organising
o Sets clearly defined objectives; Plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; Manages time effectively; Identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; Monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
The above duties are the main duties required to be successful in this role, however, the employee can be requested to perform other duties and responsibilities from time to time during his/her employment with the company, based on its operational requirements. The job title does not define or restrict the employment relationship and it is required within reason that the employee avail him-/herself to undertake other work at the request of the company.