The Cost and Management Accountant is responsible for implementing and maintaining an Activity-Based Costing (ABC) methodology within the Distribution Centres through managing, controlling and reassigning costs associated with conducting day-to-day operations, and empowering senior management with constructive reporting
- Plans, studies and collects data to determine the cost of business activities within the Distribution Centres.
- Analyses actual costs and reassigns to the various business activities.
- Provides guidance and assistance in maintaining a comprehensive understanding of operational activities.
- Compiles activity-based cost information to be used in monthly operating processes and budget preparation.
- Estimates the cost associated with new and proposed products, processes or projects.
- Provides management with reports specifying and comparing factors affecting prices and profitability of products or services.
- Maintain an ongoing relationship with various departments/stakeholders (i.e. Engineering, Accounting) to ensure continuous improvement and line item profitability.
- Create and build detailed reports and trends to present cost-effective solutions.
- Provide training courses to stakeholders when required.
- Professionally qualified and experienced specialists and mid-management
- Up to 5 years experience
- 4-year Degree / NQF level 7
- CIMA - Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
- FCMA - Fellow Chartered Management Accountant
- ACMA - Associate Chartered Management Accountant Essential
- Qualification in Management Sciences in Finance and Accounting
Area of Experience
- Cost Accounting
- Management Accounting (4 - 5 years)
- Accounting and reporting standards
- Understanding of Distribution Centre operations
- IBM Cognos
- Strong computer literacy (Excel)
- Experience in Activity-Based Costing (4 - 5 years)
- Technical Competency
- Providing expert advice
- Analysing information
- Application of accounting concepts, rules, principles and practices
- Commercial awareness
- Behavioural Competency
Analyses numerical data and all other sources of information, to break them into component parts, patterns and relationships; probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; makes rational judgements from the available information and analysis; demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be a part of a much larger system.
- Persuading and influencing:
Gains clear agreement and commitment from others by persuading, convincing and negotiating; makes effective use of political processes to influence and persuade others; promotes ideas on behalf of oneself or others; makes a strong personal impact on others; takes care to manage one’s impression on others.
- Deciding and Initiating Action:
Takes responsibility for actions, projects and people; takes initiative and works under own direction; initiates and generates activity and introduces changes into work processes; makes quick, clear decisions which may include tough choices or considered risks
- Adhering to principles and values:
Upholds ethics and values; demonstrates integrity; promotes and defends equal opportunities, builds diverse teams; encourages organisational and individual responsibility towards the community and the environment.
- Coping with pressures and setbacks:
Maintains a positive outlook at work; works productively in a pressurised environment; keeps emotions under control during difficult situations; handles criticism well and learns from it; balances the demands of a work life and a personal life.
- Entrepreneurial and commercial thinking:
Keeps up to date with competitor information and market trends; identifies business opportunities for the organisation; maintains awareness of developments in the organisational structure and politics; demonstrates financial awareness; controls costs and thinks in terms of profit, loss and added value
- Relating and networking:
Easily establishes good relationships with customers and staff; relates well to people at all levels; builds wide and effective networks of contacts; uses humour appropriately to bring warmth to relationships with others