Purpose of the RoleTo be responsible for the effective and efficient management of the Legal Department, the provision of legal advisory services and ensuring effective management of legal and contractual risks.
Support the Group in respect of the management of specialised legal matters and projects with a Regional wide significance and to provide strategic direction to the Legal and Compliance officers in managing legal risk.
To provide senior management legal opinions as and when required.
- — Provide legal support and opinions to the Group;
- — Design and implement best practice framework for legal compliance;
- — Ensure that legal and compliance risks are identified and controlled in the implementation of Group-wide and legal projects, agreements, legal opinions, systems, procedures and products;
- — Ensure compliance to policies, legislation and regulations are in place;
- — Design and implement best practice framework for managing, saving and monitoring legal documentation;
- — Identify and manage legal and risk opportunities in Banking Law, legal issues across the Group and other related areas of regulation;
- — Work with senior management to augment banking legal and compliance monitoring;
- — Advise corporate committees on governance and related corporate matters;
- — Liaise with relevant departments to ensure that where legal risks have been identified, appropriate courses of action have been taken;
- — Manage and support new regulatory reporting processes;
- — Review and provide legal advice on tender documents;
- — Review ongoing cases and advise management accordingly;
- — Provide legal protection and risk management advice to management especially on contract management;
- — Provide and interpret legal information, conduct training and disseminate appropriate legal requirements to staff.
- — Provide leadership and ensure efficient and effective management of staff and resources in the Legal department
- — Recruit and develop skilled staff
- — Manage performance of direct reports ensuring agreement of annual goals, measuring performance against agreed gaols and dealing with non-performance accordingly
- — Talent management of direct reports, including career developments and paths for all staff and succession planning for key positions
- — Ensure that the working environment contributes to improving staff morale and increasing productivity
- — Align to the bank’s transformation objectives through departmental processes
- — Ensure that best practices are adopted, guidelines complied with, and activities comply with the applicable laws, rules and regulations in a consistent manner;
- — Ensure that change and developments in legislation, regulations, guidelines and practices are analysed, evaluated and reported as required;
- — Design, implement and oversee processes and mechanisms for the effective delivery of legal advice, opinions and responses to legal queries;
- — Review and advise management on legal implications of internal policies and procedures;
- — Review and draft contracts, agreements and internal policies and ensure that they are in compliance with all statutory or legal requirements.
- — Formulate compliance check-lists to be used for the purpose of ensuring that all information required is provided accordingly;
- — Continuously monitor compliance with statutory obligations and advise management accordingly;
- — Prepare monthly and quarterly reports for the department for executive management meetings.
- — Ensure proper negotiation , drafting and vetting of legal agreements across the Group;
- — Prepare, review and modify contractual instruments to assist and support various business activities;
- — Negotiate, review and draft documentation for business transactions and prepare and advise on the necessary checklist to be adopted to ensure information is submitted on time.
- — Create and implement effective systems of security searches, registration filing, indexing, safekeeping and verification;
- — Provide continuous leadership, supervision, training and development of department staff ensuring an effective and motivated team;
- — Liaise with the HC department in conducting performance appraisals and ensure competency and training gaps are addressed.
Qualifications and Experience
- — LLB undergraduate degree and a Master’s degree in Law
- — Admitted attorney or advocate (member of the Bar)
- — At least 10 years post qualification legal experience in commercial litigation, preferably in corporate law firm or banking industry,
- — Proven track record of providing accurate and effective legal counsel,
- — Proven track record of adding value to an organisation through the development of comprehensive contract documents that mitigate risk and penalties,
- — Exposure to countries in Africa,
- — Understanding of the role of a Company Secretary,
- Litigation Management
- — Review progress of outstanding litigation and liaise with and manage external lawyers.
- — Excellent knowledge of and experience with laws dealing with government and/or commercial contract administration, particularly contract negotiation, preparation and administration,
- — Experience in managing and conducting a variety of litigation matters
This Roles is based in Botswana. Only candidates who are interested in residing and working in Botswana apply. SA residents may reside in SA but travel predominantly to Botswana.
Contact Verge Das Neves on +27100352504