The African IT team, based at Head Office in Cape Town, provides IT and support services across all the systems for the group in Sub Saharan Africa. Supporting a user base of around 5000 staff and nearly eight hundred thousand members, the teams are lean and efficient with an emphasis on operational service. The purpose of this role is to ensure that we work on business systems projects supporting our business operations that have the greatest impact on business value over time. This role also has the purpose of improving the financial reporting and cost control optimisation of the IT department.
The Product Owner represents the key business stakeholders requiring IT related solutions and helps provide the best possible technology solution to support the business process.
The Product Owner provides the Information Systems (delivery) teams with the highest priority functional requirements for the group IT solutions, considering all other IT requirements.
The Product Owner has sufficient business domain understanding of the business area (ERP, Banking and Human Resources) and knowledge of the systems to provide engineering teams and business systems service providers with the context, high-level business designs and business models so that the teams can plan and estimate their development work. Business Owners play a pivotal role in this process by contributing vision, time and budget approval.
The Product Owner will contribute to the enhancement of the content and quality of requirements and then assist software developers with the detailed functional design of the product. The Product owner also provides input to the support team in prioritising and resolving support issues.
Furthermore, this role also has the purpose of developing and maintaining the financial reporting and controls for the IT business at the company Several important commercial and finance-impacting elements of IT have become more impactful during the digital and cloud era - these are:
- Outsourcing: more commoditised services are now outsourced and managed to a SLA or a pay-as-you-go model. These require close commercial and financial management to ensure that they realise their promise of reduced risk and cost for the business
- Telecoms: telecoms intensive businesses such as the business require ongoing attention to billing optimisation and expense management
- Business cases and high resource costs: It is imperative that expensive resources work on the right work at the right time. Business cases for all work is important and needs financial oversight. Just as important is the measurement of project outcomes, or business case realization
- Financial Reporting and Controls
- Develop and manage financial controls for IT
- Compile and report IT financial scorecard
- Identify and track cost optimisation opportunities
- Develop and track exception reports
- Design and implement efficient processes for processing, reporting and reconciling IT expenses ERP and Banking Roadmap
- Interface between finance teams and support providers
- Work with finance teams to build sustainable technology solutions
- Develop and communicate a vision for the business solutions
- Publish the roadmap and ensure it is delivered
- Participate in release planning and refining the dynamic priority list of features
- Contribute to user story definition by providing clarifications (to assist with estimating and sequencing)
- Review and prioritise the prioritised list of features (user stories) based
- on ROI
- Build, prune and maintain the list of features, defects, refactoring and
- infrastructure work
- Accept the sprint plan
- Participate in developing acceptance criteria
- Along with the Business Owner, accept features into the product (final quality assurance - fit for use)
- Gather and collate requirements from all stakeholders
- Facilitate story writing workshops and estimation workshops
- Enhance the quality of user stories by defining conditions of success, business rules, screen flows and business model impacts
- Participate in daily conversations with team members to clarify
- understanding and enhance requirement details
What we’re looking for
- The finest fitness ambassador of our brand always.
- A great communicator and a brilliant representative of IT
- A tenacious quality advocate with a persuasive style
- Commercially astute
- Adept in high pressure situations
- Comfortable with occasional chaos
- Operationally aware – understands the end to end process for delivering high value projects
- Continually looks for ways to improve the quality of solutions and the efficiency of the entire IT team
- A challenger of the norm with a desire to make a real difference in the work they do
What we cannot live without…
- Commerce Degree - B.BusSC , BAcc or similar - with an interest in IT
- Ambition to be part of something special
- Evidence of a delivery-driven mentality
- Strong communication and people management skills
- Organisational and facilitation skills
What we’d love you to have
- Industry experience with high-touch customer service organisations
- An interest in health and fitness
- Experience in agile project delivery approaches
All Together Now
Achieving our vision of being the World’s Most Loved Health Club cannot be achieved without us all pulling together and working as one team. This is our way of saying that IT is a small team and sometimes you will get involved with work outside of your written job description.
We take seriously our responsibility to carry out our business activities in a way which is sustainable, enabling us to meet our business objectives whilst helping people live ‘happily ever active’. We encourage every employee to do their bit by:
- Taking responsibility for the efficient use of resources in their daily work activities, in order to reduce and/or eliminate unnecessary waste as much as possible without adversely affecting the business.
- Supporting and implementing any VA approved initiatives regarding sustainability, energy management, charitable fundraising, positive people practices etc.