As the ever evolving world of digital products and services continue to blur the lines across platforms and devices, challenging organisations in their approach to business and how they engage with their customers across an increasingly complex landscape of customer touch points, Design and Innovation forms an important part of our offering, helping our clients shape their customer experience and product offering - from facilitating rapid innovation sessions and delivering product strategies, to building design capability within some of the largest organisations in the world.
We have a big vision for Service and Experience design in South Africa and the continent, and we hope to share with you what is truly an exciting time in design; shaping the way the world is doing business and engaging with their customers.
The role of the Service Design Lead
In defining and delivering some of the most challenging design creativity to some of the most critical infrastructure that drives our complex world – a world of simultaneously logical data and irrational humanity, our Service Design leads are the keystones that understand business complexities, challenge technical constraints, provide refreshing viewpoints to sticky design problems, facilitate end enable co-creation, communication and provide focus and inspire our design teams to greater heights.
Key tasks and responsibilities
• As the creative lead, be responsible for the quality of all deliverables across a variety of projects.
• Be a hands-on design expert, shaping the concept and seeing it through to detailed design and implementation across a variety of devices and platforms.
• Communicate and envision service concepts and ideas using methods & tools that illustrate all the components and touchpoints of the service. Pulling together all aspects of service design offered by our division
• Inspire innovative approaches to design, using creative facilitation techniques and taking the lead at client meetings, internal company meetings, brainstorms and external design events.
• Balance the client’s business objectives whilst meeting the user experience objectives of the project.
• Develop thought leadership as part of the overall design leadership team within the division.
• Have an understanding of the core service design skills that should be integrated into projects, including: user research, business development, business design, technological and brand DNA.
• Keep up to speed with new technology market and trends applicable to our service design core.
Client & Project facing:
• Analyse and respond to client communications in a timely manner (e.g. within 24 hours).
• Manage and oversee the delivery of a range of projects, defining project scope, goals and deliverables in collaboration with key stakeholders, supported by the Project Manager.
• Establish strong relationships with client stakeholders on your projects.
• Work in partnership with the Project Manager to issue regular status reports and troubleshoot problem areas.
• Identify and alert the Project Managers to potential risks, and work with them to manage changes in scope and devise contingency plans.
• Alert the Business Development Directors and/or Consultants to new business opportunities that may arise from projects.
• Communicate and define project roles, responsibilities and expectations to each team member at the start and for the duration of each project.
• Instil project teams with the confidence and discipline to explore innovative design solutions while respecting client deadlines.
• Continually mentor the project team (motivation, moral, emotional and logistical support, and design quality).
• Engage with and manage freelancers and staff from other offices enlisted to support the project team, as and when required.
• Identify and resolve issues and conflicts within the project team.
• Create design briefs based on project proposals and client feedback.
• If applicable, effectively manage your discipline team, ensuring objectives are set and achieved, personal development plans are in place, and continual support is provided.
• Take an active role in the recruitment and onboarding of team members.
• In partnership with the Project Manager plan, schedule and track project timelines and milestones, using the divisions costing tool as a foundation.
• Alongside the Project Manager develop and deliver progress reports, requirements documentation and presentations, using our tracker.
• Contribute to and participate in post-project reviews.
• Work closely with the Project Manager to manage own time and communicate commitments effectively.
• In-depth knowledge and experience within a relevant service design discipline.
• Strong commercial awareness.
• Strong story-telling, persuading and influencing skills.
• Experience of owning a project vision and culture.
• Experience of being highly accountable for design quality and project delivery.
• Experience of concepting and ideation.
• Workshop planning and facilitation skills.
• Excellent presentation skills.
• Experience of iterative prototyping.
Knowledge, experience and technical skills:
• A proven positive and motivational leader.
• Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues, clients, and key stakeholders.
• Structured and organised approach to work but with the ability to be flexible when necessary, performing other role related duties when required.
• Impeccable personal time management.
• Planning and analytical skills are essential.
• Ability to respond positively and calmly to shifting priorities, demands and timelines.
• A strong work ethic and a passion for drawing out and driving creativity and innovation.
• Strong influencing, negotiation and communication skills, both written and verbal.
• An effective decision maker.
• Keen to seek out opportunities for self-development.
• Keen to seek out opportunities to promote our division externally.
• A willingness to travel and work overseas is essential.
Relevant Bachelors Degree and minimum of 5 years relevant wok experience.