Purpose of the Role
The incumbent will be required to draw from their past expert-level experience in software development to rapidly comprehend user requirements from which they will design effective technical solutions. They will also lead and influence the implementation of solutions.
Essential Job Functions
- Translate user requirements into effective technical architectures
- Work closely with wider Enterprise Architecture team to ensure solution strategic alignment and governance.
- Being current with modern software development and integration technologies, trends and practices.
- Contribute to the overall technology and solution road map.
- Determine technical architecture for the pragmatic and effective integration of off-the-shelf solutions
- Engage with 3rd party implementers (systems integrators, contractors, software development vendors, software vendors) and internal implementation teams throughout the entire delivery of a solution.
- Be the technical lead on implementation projects.
- Promote technology advancement on the floor and act as a mentor to other technical resources.
- Provide oversight and standards for technical documentation of applications.
- Conduct periodic reviews with partners on SLA's, performance metrics and issues, escalations, change requests and improvement plans.
- Collaborate with partners to overcome issues impacting service delivery and execute operational improvement initiatives.
- Encourage best practice and knowledge sharing with partners and cross-functional groups
- Minimum BSc, BCom, BTech degree that has majors in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, Information Systems, Maths or Statistics.
- Relevant industry experience advantageous.
- Minimum 5 years experience in a role similar to these: Technical Architect, Technical Lead, Development Team Leader, Senior Developer, Integration Specialist
- Expert level knowledge of all aspects of computing. Highly skilled in the use of computers, adapts to new technology, keeps abreast of changes, learns new programs quickly, uses computers to improve productivity
- Considers themselves technology agnostic – they are not overly biased towards a particular vendor or technology, unless it’s the best choice to solve a problem, within budget.
- Happy to understand and learn new and unfamiliar technologies, rapidly, to help lead the delivery of a solution.
- Generates new ideas, challenges the status quo, takes risks, supports change, encourages innovation, solves problems creatively
- Strong leadership and negotiation skills with business and technical groups
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus amongst stakeholders
- Ability to establish, implement and enforce appropriate IT standards to meet business requirements
- Systematic problem solving
- Is attentive to detail and accuracy, is committed to excellence, looks for improvements continuously, monitors quality levels, finds root cause of quality problems, owns/acts on quality problems
- Ability to effectively communicate technology, infrastructure and process needs and requirements with all personnel levels; oral and written communication
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work with multiple levels of staff.
- While not the norm, there may be times where you must be able to work a very flexible shift including weekends, nights and holidays when necessary