Senior IT Officer
|Job Title:||Senior IT Officer|
|Job Published:||June 09, 2017 13:16|
LOCATION: PORT SHEPSTONE, KZN
South Africa’s leading corporate player in the development and management of property and the leisure sector, currently has the following opportunity at Head Office in Port Shepstone. In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the Group, preference shall be given, but not limited to, candidates from the designated groups.
Since our Head Office is based in Port Shepstone, KwaZulu-Natal, away from the traditional city centres, the area creates a great lifestyle opportunity for staff to work and live and it shows in our retention rates.
The Information Technology Executive is responsible for the overall management and maintenance of the group’s technology–related assets (hardware, software, etc), policies, procedures and systems spanning 3 countries. This includes planning and directing all IT operations to meet the group’s requirements, as well as the support and maintenance of existing applications and the development of new software/technical solutions. This executive manages all employees within the IT Technical and Programming departments and is responsible for all HR related aspects such as recruitment and performance management.
This current vacancy is for a Senior IT Officer, which is an "in training" position for the IT Executive role.
It is envisaged that, for a period of 3 to 5 years, the Senior IT Officer will report to the current IT Executive, working as part of the various teams within the IT department, as well as through the various other departments of the group, to ensure a thorough understanding of all business divisions and objectives within the group.
Due to the extended and undetermined time period of this training, the Senior IT Officer will be assigned specific roles, duties and projects during this period, relating to the IT department’s functions, for which they will be directly accountable for. These roles, duties and projects will vary over the period. It is foreseen that the Senior IT Officer will form part of the programming team for a fair amount of this time, and will be required to be hands on with writing, coding, testing and analysing the group’s software programs and applications.
At the end of this "in training" period, the company may extend an offer for the IT Executive position, based on performance and job fit.
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field or related experience
• Minimum of eight (8) years of experience within information technology
• Experience in the most current technologies and products used in the industry
• Technical Capability
• Business Acumen
• Strategic Thinking
• Customer/Client Focus
Position Type / Expected Hours of Work / Work Environment:
This is a full-time position, days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8am to 4:30pm, based at the group’s head office in Port Shepstone. The Senior IT Officer has to work under pressure: deadlines, systems security threats or other unexpected issues may call for immediate attention and require longer work hours (possibly in evenings or on weekends) in order to produce a solution. In addition, professionals in this field must keep up with and continually acquire new programming, technical and software skills on pace with the emergence of new technologies. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected, as well as travel to Australia & Botswana offices as necessary.
Please note this advert is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
For reference only: Key Performance Areas for the IT Executive
• Establishes, plans, and administers the overall policies, procedures and goals for the information technology department (programming and hardware/network aspects)
• Analyses business needs presented by the user community and/or clients and recommend technical solutions
• Oversees the modification of existing or developing new information processing systems, databases & network designs and coordinates software implementation and upgrades
• Reviews all designs, code and unit test plans where applicable
• Approves all business requirements prior to the technical solution
• Ensures the consistency and maintainability of existing applications by creating, maintaining, and enforcing standards/procedures for implementing technical solutions
• Participates on all hardware and software evaluations and maintains vendor contracts
• Directs and prioritises the work load of subordinate personnel, including the training thereof and involvement in the various HR functions as required
• Perform liaison duties between users, operations, and programming personnel in the areas of systems design, modifications or trouble shooting
• Ensure system security • Troubleshoot computer and network issues
• Responsible for the IT budget and software / equipment needs.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's