Position – Marketing Manager. Johannesburg
A leading sports company, operating in both the retail and membership arenas, is on the hunt for a marketing manager. The role reports directly in to the Group Managing Director. This position requires a competent and articulate professional who can lead a small team of people, manage numerous projects at the same time to tight deadlines and budgets and work well in a pressurized environment. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who can bring innovative new ideas and processes to the marketing department. The ideal candidate will have experience in retail marketing, social media, digital trends, and a comprehensive grasp of the English language.
Candidates must have a Marketing degree with no less than 5 year’s marketing management experience, preferably in the retail industry. This is a fantastic opportunity for a marketer, with a proven-track record and experience, to make a mark at a senior level, working with a great group of people in a favourable environment.
The candidate will work closely with top management, the heads of the various business units and manage an in-house Marketing Team.
The marketing manager will be responsible for:
- Managing the marketing team and in-house design studio and taking full responsibility for the team’s results, performance and actions.
- Mentoring and coaching members of the marketing department.
- Working with each business unit in the company to develop comprehensive marketing strategies, marketing budgets and marketing plans (above and below the line). These cross-marketing strategies and plans must create synergy and value for all divisions within the company.
- Communicating and sharing the above strategies, budgets and plans with the entire company and all divisions within the company.
- Maintaining effective internal communication to ensure that all relevant business units and their various departments are kept informed of marketing objectives and activities.
- Planning and executing of marketing plans/campaigns across all business divisions for promotions, competitions, sale events and new product launches.
- These campaigns will be fully integrated across print, outdoor, online/digital, TV, radio and more.
- The management includes media planning, media buying, developing creative with the in-house design studio or external creative agencies and then reporting on the performance of campaigns.
- Overseeing the company and business units’ marketing budgets and reporting periodically to top management with regards to marketing spend.
- Managing the overall brand and corporate identity for all business units and ensuring that marketing messages are consistent.
- Briefing projects in to the design studio, tracking the progress of these projects, proofing artwork and ensuring that all projects are completed on time and to budget.
- Dealing with print suppliers for signage and marketing materials.
- Working closely with external creative agencies, including TV/radio production to create world-class marketing material.
- Working closely with media agencies to maximise campaign spend and formulate industry-leading and fully integrated marketing campaigns.
- Constantly working with the merchandise department, various business unit heads and suppliers to create and implement exceptional promotions or campaigns aimed at increasing footfall, frequency of visits or basket size.
- Driving marketing compliance at stores and facilities within the company.
- Working with the Operations department to ensure that promos are understood and implemented at a store and facility level.
- Regularly visiting and auditing stores to assess compliance levels with regards to:
- Staff understanding of promotions
- Marketing POS
- General signage
- Price tickets
- Promotional displays and merchandising
- Working with the e-commerce departments to ensure that brands are consistent across the physical and online environments, promotions/competitions are implemented and that the sites allow for maximum return on marketing spend.
- Assisting the e-commerce department with online only promotions and campaigns as well as UX. This includes overseeing the creation of engaging content such as product review write-ups and videos.
- Managing all branding and signage at stores and facilities, aimed at improving customer experience and cross-selling within and between the various business units.
- Managing the digital networks (TV, radio and POS) at stores and facilities. Ensuring that we use the network to engage creatively with our customers.
- Supporting the visual merchandising department with the design of merchandising displays and relevant POS/signage.
- Working with the company’s CRM department to drive club sign-ups, increase engagement, increase footfall at stores and facilities, increase website visits and increase average basket size across all stores and online platforms. This entails:
- The development of various campaigns or customer journeys to enrich customer experiences and increase desired engagement.
- Development of creative to support these campaigns
- Creating customer segments that can be targeted for the purpose of cross-selling and upselling within and between divisions.
- CRM reporting on the performance of the programme and campaigns
- Analysing market trends and recommending changes to marketing and business strategies based on analysis and feedback.