Purpose of the position:
To implement, design and improve processes relating to the administration of databases to ensure that they function correctly, perform optimally, preserve data and facilitate the generation of revenue.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Supports others by treating them with dignity, respect and fairness.
- Takes ownership for quality by dedicating the required time and energy to assignments and making sure no aspect of the work is neglected.
- Demonstrates passion by taking immediate/ independent action when confronted by a problem or made aware of a situation, while suggesting new ideas/ solutions to problems.
- Completes all project work / allocated tasks on time / as per agreed schedule and communicates progress with all parties concerned.
- Takes on additional, unplanned projects as required by the business and works after hours where necessary.
- Resolves HEAT calls and escalations assigned by Team Lead/ Support Desk ensuring that all issues are followed up on and resolved. Keeps client informed at all times with the progress of calls / issues.
- Makes clients and their needs a primary focus of one's actions and attention, while developing / maintaining productive client relationships.
- Actively seeks to understand client circumstances, problems, expectations and needs, while resolving problems quickly.
- Provides 24 hour standby support by being available on a 24/7 basis during specified periods, in accordance with the DBA standby schedule.
- Sets and maintains operational database standards on an ongoing basis.
- Enforces and improves database integrity and performance through the use of sound design principles and set down database design standards.
- Designs and enforces data security policies to eliminate unauthorized access to data on managed data systems in accordance with IT Services technical specifications and business requirements.
- Ensures that effective data redundancy; archiving, backup and recovery mechanisms are in place to prevent the loss of data.
- Sets up configurable pre-established jobs to automatically run on a daily basis, to monitor and maintain the operational databases.
Desired qualifications and experience:
Relevant IT Degree or Diploma
4 – 7 years’ DBA experience
SQL Log shipping
Have your own SQL blog
Understanding of SQL internals
TSQL Scripting experience
Microsoft SQL Server (Administration Implementation)
CPU Performance Tuning
Storage Area Networks for DBAs
Query Plan Analysis
Data File Internals and Maintenance
Plan Cache and Index Analysis
Memory Performance Tuning:
Transactions and Locking
Logging, Recovery, and Log File Internals and Maintenance
Backup Internals and Strategy
Internals and Data Access
Table Design Strategies
Corruption Detection and Recovery
Hardware and Architectures