Key Performance Areas (KPA’s)
• To manage all utility expense and recovery related functions within the utility management.
• To negotiate and manage all vendor and supplier contracts and ensure that service providers adhere to service levels in accordance with relevant service level agreements (utilities and rates).
• To track utility management service provider performance to ensure services are delivered as per service level agreements and address and resolve non-performance.
• To ensure utility management related policies are in place and strictly adhered to by the team as well as appointed service providers.
• To manage relationships with service providers and suppliers.
• To oversee and ensure the on-time and accurate capturing of utility accounts for payment.
• To facilitate budgeting and forecasting of utilities expenditure and recoveries.
• To handle escalated customer account queries when and where necessary.
• To analyse expenditure and recovery reports and identify areas for improvement and action to maximise recovery of expenses from tenants.
• To ensure that recovery ratios are optimised and maintained and to manage any associated risks
• To ensure the management and maintenance of infrastructure registers, audit reports and diagrams.
• To manage filing, document storage and access.
• To assess staff functions and conduct regular performance reviews.
• A solid understanding of
o Utility management (especially within the context of recovery of utilities within multi-tenanted properties).
o Metering and verification principles.
o Electrical distribution systems and energy fundamentals.
o Municipal utility tariffs.
o Regulatory principles and requirements about the supply and recovery of electricity, water and sewer services.
• Knowledge of
o Electricity, water and rates management principles.
o Senior Certificate (with Mathematics and Accounts as a subject preferred).
o Tertiary qualification preferred.
o Additional qualifications or certifications relevant to the industry beneficial.
o At least 5 years’ experience of utility management (within the property sector preferred).
o 3- 5 years’ experience in a management role.
o Proficiency in Microsoft applications, especially Microsoft Excel (working with pivot tables and large data sets)
o Strong financial and analytical skills.
o Vendor management skills.
o Leading and deciding – Leading and supervising: Provides others with a clear direction; Sets appropriate standards of behaviour; Delegates work appropriately and fairly; Motivates and empowers others; Provides staff with development opportunities and coaching; Recruits staff of a high calibre.
o Supporting and co-operating – Working with people: Demonstrates an interest in and understanding of others; Adapts to the team and builds team spirit; Recognises and rewards the contribution of others; Listens, consults others and communicates proactively; Supports and cares for others; Develops and openly communicates self-insight.
o Analysing and Interpreting - Applying expertise and technology: Applies specialist and detailed technical expertise; Develops job knowledge and expertise through continual professional development; Shares expertise and knowledge with others; Uses technology to achieve work objectives; Demonstrates appropriate physical coordination and endurance, manual skill, spatial awareness and dexterity; Demonstrates an understanding of different organisational departments and functions.
o Analysing and Interpreting - Analysis: Analyses of numerical data, verbal data and all other sources of information; Breaks information into component parts, patterns and relationships; Probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; Makes rational judgements from the available information and analysis; Produces workable solutions to a range of problems; Demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be a part of a much larger system.
o Organising and Executing - Planning and Organising: Sets clearly defined objectives; Plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; Manages time effectively; Identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; Monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
o Organising and Executing - Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations: Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; Sets high standards for quality and quantity; Monitors and maintains quality and productivity; Works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves project goals.
The above duties are the main duties required to be successful in this role, however, the employee can be requested to perform other duties and responsibilities from time to time during his/her employment with the company, based on its operational requirements. The job title does not define or restrict the employment relationship and it is required within reason that the employee avail him-/herself to undertake other work at the request of the company.